Work-Related Injuries

When a civilian employee is injured as a result of work, supervisors have certain basic responsibilities:

If the employee requires emergency medical treatment, ensure that he or she receives immediate care.

If the employee's injury results from a specific event or series of events during one day or shift, the supervisor and employee complete a Form CA-1, Federal Employee's Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation using the Employees' Compensation Operations & Management Portal (ECOMP). If the employee develops a condition due to prolonged exposure lasting more than one day or shift, complete a Form CA-2, Federal Employee's Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation using ECOMP. For more information on ECOMP, contact your local Injury Compensation Program Administrator (ICPA).

If the employee has a traumatic injury (a specific event or series of events during one day or shift), provide him or her with a Form CA-16, Authorization for Examination and/or Treatment. This form should be issued within four hours of the injury, whether or not the claim appears valid. For questionable claims, box 6b should be checked to indicate its doubtful nature. Only one Form CA-16 may be issued per traumatic injury. A Form CA-16 may not be issued for past medical care, except within 48 hours after emergency treatment if treatment was verbally authorized beforehand.

When reviewing Form CA-1 or CA-2, check to see that the facts are consistent. You need not have witnessed the injury to agree with the stated history. Review the form and submit immediately, whether or not you feel that the claim should be approved. ECOMP will transmit it to your designated Injury Compensation Program Administrator (ICPA) who will review and authenticate. If you have specific information which casts doubt on the claim's validity, you may challenge it and supply supporting information, but you must still submit the claim promptly. Failure to do so can result in a fine, imprisonment, or both, under 20 CFR 10.16(a).

If the employee has a traumatic injury, explain that he or she is entitled to Continuation of Pay (COP) for absences due to disability or obtaining medical treatment, for not more than 45 calendar days following the injury. Any such absence must be supported by medical documentation. The specific COP periods should be clearly indicated on the time and attendance sheets, whether the employee loses entire days or only a few hours of a day. If you are unfamiliar with the COP provisions, contact your local ICPA for further information.

DOD has an obligation under the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA) to accommodate an employees' medical limitations if the treating physician indicates that the employee is capable of performing light duty. Keeping a partially disabled employee in the work place tends to speed his or her recovery, which benefits the employee and reduces agency costs. If the employee is totally disabled, or if you are unable to accommodate the restrictions, maintain contact with the employee during his or her absence from work.

You should advise your local ICPA promptly of any injuries occurring in your section. You should also refer the injured employee to the ICPA for further assistance after taking the steps described above. The ICPA will provide specific information throughout the course of the injury compensation claim, to both you and the injured employee. The ICPA is also available to provide basic training which can help you become more familiar with what to do when one of your employees is injured at work.

Department of Defense
Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service
HR Operational Programs & Advisory Services
Benefits and Worklife Division
Injury Compensation & Unemployment Compensation Branch
4800 Mark Center Drive, Suite 05G21
Alexandria, VA 22350-1100

Commercial Phone: (571) 372-1663
FAX: (571) 372-1662
DSN Phone: 372-1663
DSN FAX: 372-1662
E-mail: ICUC Questions
E-mail: Pipeline Coordinator

You are now leaving DCPAS.OSD.MIL