Our Line of Business
The Employment and Compensation Line of Business within the Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service (DCPAS) develops civilian personnel policies, provides training services, and technical and advisory support to Department of Defense and human resource specialists on a wide variety of Human Resources (HR) programs including staffing, recruitment and outreach, pay, leave, classification, and civilian transition programs.
Employment and Compensation provides technical and advisory support to DoD and human resources specialists on a variety of HR programs:
- Civilian Transition Programs: We administer workforce-shaping programs such as the Priority Placement Program, Reduction-in Force, Reemployment Priority List, and Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay, by providing guidance and assistance to DoD managers, Human Resources Practitioners, employees and their family members, including military spouses.
- Classification: We adjudicate first level classification and wage grade appeals, advisory decisions, and requests for reconsideration of decisions rendered by regional offices. We determine the appropriate title, pay plan, occupational series or grade of the employee's official position and establish the principle of providing equal pay for substantially equal work.
- Compensation: We provide technical and advisory support to DoD and human resource specialists on compensation programs, leave programs, travel programs, and overseas allowances. We also provide policy interpretation and guidance to resolve complex problems, as well as develop and evaluate DoD policies, procedures, and strategies regarding compensation matters.
- Recruitment Assistance: We provide advisory services, policy interpretation and guidance, and strategic analysis of hiring data. In collaboration with DoD Components and Agencies we support and guide recruitment activities to maximize recruitment and outreach efforts and increase a diverse and talented applicant pool. To increase awareness of DoD employment and student opportunities we promote and guide effective marketing, branding, and outreach.
- Staffing: We implement National Defense Authorization Act authorities and certain other policy updates that support hiring improvement goals. We provide technical staffing advisory and consultation for the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Acts of 1994 (USERRA), DoD Pathways Programs and Non-Traditional Personnel Programs as well as analysis of Time-to-Hire metrics.
The Employment and Compensation line of business engages components strategically, leads initiatives to innovate, develops programs that increases the ability of the HR community to meet and serve the Department and improve lethality.
Our Vision is to be the Department’s premier provider of HR policy, training, operations and advisory services.