Applying for Retirement
The transition to retirement can be very exciting, but it also can be somewhat overwhelming, especially when the necessary steps are not initiated within a reasonable time frame before the desired retirement date. DOD Component/Agency Benefits Centers typically encourage employees to submit retirement paperwork at least 90 days before their anticipated retirement date. This allows enough time for retirement paperwork to be processed and transmitted to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
There are several forms required to complete the retirement process. These forms include the retirement application form, designation of beneficiary forms, and deposit or redeposit forms (when necessary to receive credit for service). Employees are encouraged to contact their Component or Agency Benefits Center for specific guidance on the required forms and when to begin planning.
The Government Retirement and Benefits (GRB) Platform is the primary system used by DOD to provide access to retirement and benefits information specific to each DOD employee. This system contains tools such as the Total Compensation Statement and a number of retirement calculators. Access to GRB can be found on each of the Component/Agency Benefit Centers’ websites.
Resources available from OPM website
Select from the dropdown below for the resources available on OPM’s website and other government websites. Employees may visit these sites to become familiar with retirement forms and to learn more about what to expect following retirement.
- DCPAS Fact Sheet-Applying for Retirement
- DCPAS Fact Sheet-Retirement Eligibility
- FEHB Comparison Tool
- FEGLI Calculator
- FERS Annuity Supplement
- FEDVIP Comparision
- Annuity and Benefits
- FERS Service Credit
- CSRS Service Credit
- Financial Literacy
- Federal Withholding Calculator
- TSP Payment Calculator
- SSA.gov Retirement Estimator
- Learn more about military service and federal retirement
- Federal Ballpark Estimate Benefit Estimator
- Federal and State Tax
- DCPAS Retirement Eligibility Fact Sheet
- DCPAS Applying for Retirement Fact Sheet
- Office of Personnel Management's Website - Planning and Applying.
- DOD Component and Agency Contact.
- Government Retirement and Benefits Platform (GRB)
- Federal Long-Term Care Insurance Program Website