Employment & Compensation
The Employment and Compensation (E&C) Directorate develops civilian personnel policies, provides training services, and offers technical and advisory support to DOD and human resource specialists on a wide variety of Human Resources programs.
Engage Components strategically, lead initiatives to innovate, and develop programs that increase the ability of the Human Resources community to meet and serve DOD and improve lethality.
To be the Department’s premier provider of Human Resources policy, training, operations, and advisory services.
E&C Key HR Programs:
- Civilian Transition Programs: E&C administers workforce-shaping programs such as the Priority Placement Program, Reduction-in-Force, Reemployment Priority List, and Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay by providing guidance and assistance to DOD managers, human resources practitioners, and employees and their family members, including military spouses.
- Classification: E&C adjudicates first level classification and wage grade appeals, advisory decisions, and requests for reconsideration of decisions rendered by regional offices. It determines the appropriate title, pay plan, and occupational series or grade of the employee's official position, and establishes the principle of providing equal pay for substantially equal work.
- Compensation: E&C provides technical and advisory support to DOD and human resources specialists on compensation programs, leave programs, travel programs, and overseas allowances. It also provides policy interpretation and guidance to resolve complex problems, as well as develops and evaluates DOD policies, procedures, and strategies regarding compensation matters.
- Strategic Outreach and Recruitment: The Strategic Recruitment Plan [https://www.dcpas.osd.mil/Content/ documents/EC/DoDStrategicRecruitmentPlan.pdf] establishes priorities and initiatives that support DOD’s efforts to recruit a highly skilled and diverse civilian workforce for its national security mission.
- Staffing: E&C implements National Defense Authorization Act authorities and certain other policy updates that support hiring improvement goals. It provides technical staffing advisory and consultation for the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Acts of 1994 (USERRA), DOD Pathways Programs, and Non- Traditional Personnel Programs, as well as analysis of Time-to-Hire metrics.
E&C Key Service Areas and Responsibilities
- Strategic Recruitment
- Veteran Programs
- Injury Compensation
- NAF HR Policy
- Special Salary Rates
- Unemployment Compensation
- Wage Surveys
- Work Life Programs