“We ensure our civilian workforce is relevant and ready to support America’s lethal combat-ready force.”
The Talent Development (TD) Directorate, led by the DOD Chief Learning Officer, develops, implements, and monitors DOD training, education, and professional development policies and programs for DOD’s global workforce. TD ensures practices align to and support current legislation and policy. It advises and consults with the field on training, education, and professional development policy and issues and implements programs and services that meet the strategic goals set forth in the National Defense Strategy and the National Defense Business Operations Plan for the Fiscal Year 2018-2022.
TD fosters a culture of growing talent from within by providing training and development opportunities for the DOD workforce that better equip them for the challenges of today and readiness for tomorrow. The ultimate goal is to develop and retain talent and strengthen employee productivity to meet the DOD mission and support organizational growth. By collaborating with Components and key stakeholders, TD identifies learning and organizational development opportunities that increase employee performance and engagement.
The DOD enterprise leader in the development and delivery of training, education, and professional development solutions that strengthen mission readiness. TD develops, coordinates, and resources policies and strategies that ensure the DOD provides training, education, and professional development to cultivate highly competent civilian leaders needed for successful achievement of the DOD's complex national security mission.
To strengthen the DOD with an engaged, high-performance workforce by providing industry leading-edge learning and development solutions that are integrated with Components to achieve the DOD’s goals.
TD Key Activities:
- Interpreting current and new legislation and developing Training and Leader Development policies
- Developing, Managing and administering the DOD Enterprise Leader Development Programs (GS-7 to Senior Executive)
- Managing new employee orientation through the DOD Acculturation Course
- Providing enterprise guidance for the Managerial and Supervisory Training Program
- Ensuring the Department has a robust suite of Career and Professional Development Tools such as Broadening, Mentoring Resources and Coaching.
- Administering and providing best practices for Learning Management System Optimization
- Providing industry professional development through the Public-Private Talent Exchange
TD Key Service Areas and Responsibilities
- Chief Learning Officer
- Leadership Development
- Broadening Opportunities