Planning and Accountability
The Planning and Accountability (P&A) Directorate provides advisory and support services to customers across the DOD Enterprise. Effective workforce planning and human capital management are crucial in maintaining the workforce capable of accomplishing all DOD’s missions. The work of P&A impacts over 750,000 Appropriated Fund civilian employees across the Department.
P&A functions are governed by Department of Defense Instruction 1400.25, Volume 250, June 7, 2016, “DOD Civilian Personnel Management System: Civilian Strategic Human Capital Planning (SHCP)”, and 5 CFR 250 Part B, 5 USC 1104. The Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Civilian Personnel Policy (DASD, CPP) and DCPAS Director maintain effective partnerships with Military Components and the Defense Agencies and Field Activities to ensure effective human capital planning and management strategies and initiatives are in place. Customer engagement is key for successful collaboration, and P&A maintains effective relationships with a wide variety of customers across DOD.
Provide world-class civilian Human Capital oversight, planning, and advisory services to DOD customers across the Enterprise and to inform civilian Human Resources solutions that enhance the lethality of the Department.
To serve as the provider of choice for all Enterprise activities in Human Capital Solutions, Strategic Workforce Planning, Workforce Data Analytics, Competency Development and Management, Accountability and Oversight, and Consulting and Advisory services.
P&A Key Functions:
- Strategic Workforce Planning: P&A provides advisory and support services to customers in Strategic Workforce Planning and Human Capital Management activities and initiatives.
- Workforce Data Production and Analysis: P&A workforce analysts provide workforce data reports and analyses to customers across DOD, both on a recurring and ad hoc basis. This function directly supports Strategic Workforce Planning and Human Capital Management support services.
- Competency Development and Management: A team of Industrial / Organizational Psychologists partners with customers to lead Competency Model development projects, validate those Models, and advise customers on how to best leverage those Models.
- Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey: The DOD Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey (FEVS) Program Manager in P&A facilitates the DOD FEVS in close communication with the Office of Personnel Management and Agencies / Organizations across DOD. The FEVS PM is the Department’s conduit through which all coordination and communication for the FEVS flows.
- Accountability: P&A’s Accountability Team assesses compliance with Merit System Principles, Veterans' Preference, and other laws and regulations and assists in annual Component-led self-assessments, virtual DOD evaluations, and on-site Staff Assistance Visits. The Team is also implementing the new Human Capital Framework Evaluation in FY21.
P&A Key Service Areas and Responsibilities
- Human Resources Accountability, Human Capital Framework, and Delegated Examining Evaluations
- Competency Development and Management
- Workforce Data Production and Analysis
- Strategic Workforce Planning / Human Capital Management Advisory and Support Services
- DOD Federal Employment Viewpoint Survey Program Management