DOD Pathways Programs
The Department of Defense (DOD) Pathways Programs offer clear paths to Federal internships for students from high school through post-graduate school and to careers for recent graduates. It provides meaningful training and career development opportunities for individuals who are at the beginning of their Federal service. An individual appointed to a developmental position in the Pathways Programs may be noncompetitively converted to a permanent or term appointment upon successful completion of program and academic requirements, demonstration of successful job performance, and meeting the qualification requirements of the position to which the individual was converted. The Pathways Programs is managed by DCPAS and comprised of the following opportunities:
The Internship Program is for current students. It replaces the Student Career Experience Program and Student Temporary Employment Program. The new Internship Program provides students in high schools, colleges, trade schools, and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while completing their education.
Recent Graduates Program
The Recent Graduates Program provides developmental experiences in the Federal Government. It is intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who, within the previous two years, graduated from qualifying educational institutions with an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from qualifying educational institutions. To be eligible, applicants must apply within the previous two years of degree or certificate completion. An exception is made for Veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years after degree or certificate completion to apply.
Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program
The PMF Program has been the Federal Government's premier leadership development program for advanced degree (e.g., Masters or professional degree) candidates. Executive Order 13562 expands the eligibility window for applicants, making it more "student friendly" by aligning it with academic calendars and allowing those who have received a qualifying advanced degree within the preceding two years to participate.
- Office of Personnel Management Pathways Programs
- 2020 Pathways Programs Memorandum of Understanding: Office of Personnel Management and the Department of Defense
- 2018 OPM-DOD Pathways Programs Memorandum of Understanding and Implementation Guidance
- Department of Defense Pathways Programs
- Pathways Federal Register Final Rule, effective July 10, 2012
- Executive Order 13562
- Pathways Transition and Implementation Guidance
- Pathways Programs Fact Sheets
- Pathways Frequently Asked Questions
- Office of Personnel Management Chief Human Capital Officers Council Memorandum For Human Resource Directors: Final Qualification Standard for Pathways Internship Position, April 16, 2013
- DOD Presidential Management Fellows and Job Information
- USAJOBS Student and Recent Graduates
- Federal Occupations by College Major
- A-Z List of Federal Agencies